Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Hands up who's sick to fucking death of Narnia? The absurd "controversy" over the film's religious content has been going for what feels like months, and the movie hasn't even opened yet. Polly Toynbee is the latest to over-react, her argument apparently being that Philip Pullman says it's bad, so by gum it must be. (As my Sterne - and, occasionally, stern - colleague Jon has pointed out, Pullman's problem seems to be less with religion than with subtext of any kind.)

There's an excellent response to Toynbee here. Whatever the film's pros and cons, I won't be going to see it. I'll be too busy working on my exposé of The Ten Commandments, a film that is nothing more than ill-disguised propaganda for Christianity and the false beard industry.

1 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Perry Middlemiss said...

I'm not sick of the Narnia stuff - yet. But I probably will be by the end of the school holidays. I somehow managed to skip reading the books as I grew up. From the sounds of them that might not have been such a bad thing.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home